2014-11-18

Does a Cardinal Care?

Copied from a FaceBook post on or about March 2nd of 2014....

What would change if, by some quirk of fate, we always referred to others by using the phrase 'our people'?
Instead of 'the Europeans' or 'the Russians' or 'the Sudanese' or 'the Americans' or 'the South Siders', we instead always(by some strange evolution of our method of discourse) said 'our people from Europe', 'our people from Russia....etc.
Would it change more than the dialog? Would we perhaps think less in terms of divisions and differences and more of commonality and of those things shared?

I have been realizing how powerful a tool language is in recent years. It of course allows us to communicate what we think, but more importantly it shows "how" we think. My thinking shapes my language as much as my language shapes my thinking.

I read a book some time ago called 'Anthem' by Ayn Rand in which this idea is explored in a rather dismal, dystopian setting where the ideas potential is exploited as a method of controlling people. The results were devastating in so many ways.
But I wonder if in a different setting, where people chose to use this idea to encourage a focus on what makes us alike, instead of what makes us different, we wouldn't perhaps find our world just a bit less derisive.


So what triggered this goofy line of thought? Believe it or not, it was a cardinal singing at the top of his lungs out on the front porch. I think he was telling everyone, regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, or species that he is bloody sick of winter and ready to get on with the activities of a spring that he can sense is imminent.
Of course I could be completely wrong as I don't claim to speak cardinal at all. But I figure I will give him the benefit of the doubt... and I figure it is something he and I have in common in spite of our obvious differences....
Post a Comment